The course is an advanced course about transmission of information in a communication system. It gives an understanding of fundamental features and signal processing techniques and coding for the physical layer of modern wireless communications systems.
Keywords: multipath-propagation, fading, Doppler effect, channel modeling, modulation, multiple-access, and diversity techniques, synchronization, equalization, coding, cooperative communication.
1. Introduction to the physical layer of wireless digital transmissions systems
2. Base-band Modeling of the Radio-Frequency (RF) channel : including some possible RF imperfections: carrier and delay synchronization error, Multi-path propagation, Doppler effect, Statistical Models for the radio-mobile channel variation
3. Performances of the transmission through a “flat fading Rayleigh” channel and with Diversity Techniques
4. Synchronization techniques for non-selective channel (carrier and timing)
5. Single carrier transmission (optimum receiver structure, equalization, convolutive coding, Viterbi algorithm)
6.Advanced multi-user communication systems (CDMA) and Multi-carrier Modulation (OFDM) and related receivers
7. Trends: array processing (beamforming, MIMO, space-time coding), turbo receivers, introduction to relay based network / cooperative networks, …
Random and deterministic signal processing, introduction to digital communications and transmission systems, error-correcting codes, probability and statistics.
The exam is given in english only
for Session 1:
written examination with allowed documents (N1)
reports associated to pratical work (N2)
for Session 2:
written examination with alowed documents (N1)
N = 0.7*N1 + 0.3*N2
N = N1
This course is given in english only