Lectures give an overview of the techniques used in optical telecommunication area. Advanced optical
components and functions are presented and the different optical fiber transmission systems are introduced.
Labs give a practical approach to the main optical communication devices and systems.
Basic components of optical links
• Emission / reception: lser diodes, exteral modulators, photodiodes
• Optical modulation and amplification
• Digital, analog and hybrid radio–over–fiber optical fiber systems
• Optical fibers
• Wavelength Division Miltiplexing
• Optical fiber networks: long haul transmission systems, Fiber To The Home.
Basic knowledge in electromagnetism, optical devices and microwaves.
The exam is given in english only
Average mark calculated from:
lab reports (1/3)
written examination (2/3)
This course is given in english only
 A. Yariv "Optical Electronics in Modern Communications," Oxford University Press, 1997.
 Govin P. Agrawal "Fiber optics communication systems," John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 1997.
 Decusatis C. "Handbook of Fiber Optic Data Communication: A Practical Guide to Optical Networking," Academic Press, 3rd edition, 2008.