Image processing is an important growing domain, with many civilian (multimedia, medical imaging, …) and
military (satellite, embedded software,…) applications. The aim of the course is to introduce the mathematical
bases useful for image processing. Some examples of real-life applications will illustrate the theory, like in medical
imaging. The low-level (C language) programming of image processing algorithms aiming at performance will be
studied during lab-sessions that ends with a small project.
1. Image definition: analog and digital images.
2. Fourier transform of images, FFT 2D. Application of the Fourier transform to scanner imagery.
3. Digitization of images: sampling, Moire phenomenon.
2. Analog and digital image processing: continuous and discret convolutions, linear filtering. Application to some
image processing problems: denoising, edge detection.
3. Image transforms: DCT, Haar, multiresolution. Application to image compression (principle of JPEG, ..)
Image processing in C: Image mosaic
Analysis for Engineers
Written exam (3 h) and a lab work in C.
The course exists in the following branches:
Course ID : 4MMTI6
The course is attached to the following structures:
You can find this course among all other courses.
Date of update January 15, 2017